A new start

Summer is slowly coming to an end and school buses are on the road again. As I watch the children board the bus in our neighborhood, I can see the excitement on their faces. Well, most of them. Some of the preteens look like they'd prefer to be in bed. A new school year holds the opportunity for adventure, learning, new friends, and perhaps even new tennis shoes!

Even though most business professionals have transitioned from school buses to traffic jams, we may still face the same excitement and anxiety about work. Do you find yourself excited, frustrated, challenged, or bored during your commute to the office?

According to a 2013 Gallup International report only 30% of full time U.S. workers are actively engaged in their work. The remaining 70% are not engaged or actively disengaged. Gallup estimates that this disengagement results in a $450 to $550 billion annual loss in workplace productivity.

The same Gallup study observes that employee engagement can be accelerated by selecting the right people, developing employees' strengths, and enhancing employees' wellbeing. The Gallup study further suggests teams that have a daily focus on their strengths achieve a 12.5% increase in productivity. Do you know the strengths that you and your associates bring to your organization?

The StrengthsFinder assessment is a simple and inexpensive tool to help people discover their talents and begin the process for building a strengths orientation in your work environment. Give it a try and begin the process of converting the 70% to the 30%.